With the temperature dipping a little today we thought it might be a nice to share a Cherry Chili recipe to warm you up! Remember, this quarantine is all about using what you have in your pantry, so feel free to make edits to the recipe. If you make the recipe tag us on social media and let us know how it turned out!
Two Alarm Cherry Chili
Total Time: 20 minutes to 2 Hours (we like to let our chili simmer)
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- ¾ cup or 4 oz dried Montmorency tart chili
- 3 Cups beef broth (homemade from a friend J)
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Cup sweet Onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh, chopped (or equivalent minced jarred garlic)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, Roasted (you can do yourself) and chopped
- 2 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Chipotle Chili Powder
- 2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard power
- ½ teaspoon Oregano
- 3 14 oz can of diced tomatoes (fire roasted, plain or any combination)
- 1 10 oz can of diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 1 16 oz can of Black Beans drained and rinsed
- Cherry Juice to taste *about a ¼ cup
*Note: if you plan to simmer your chili for a few hours, you do not need to soak the dried cherries. However, if you are quick cooking, soak your cherries in hot broth in a small mixing bowl
Heat olive oil in a 4 quart sauce pan over medium heat. Add chopped onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute while stirring. Add beef and cook until no longer pink. While browning the meat add a ¼ cup of Montmorency cherry juice
Add roasted red pepper, chili powder, coriander, mustard powder and oregano, cook mixture over medium high heat for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add tomatoes and broth, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes.
Add beans and cherries – stir – heat through. (10 minutes for quick cook 1-2 hours for a nice simmer)
If desired add toppings. We like plain Greek yogurt or sour cream, avocado, cilantro, corn chips, cheese, etc.
This recipe is made by our very own Jessica.