RACE DAY INFO & REMINDERS
July 9, 2011 – 5K at 7:50 a.m., 15K at 8:10 a.m.
Arrive early! The later you arrive, the heavier the traffic and you will have to park further from the starting area. The 5K starts at 7:45 a.m. so you should be parked before then to avoid being trapped by the 5K runners and walkers. Over 3,000 people will be trying to park on race morning. Traffic will be heavy. Parking is available on the Campus of NMC, excluding Aspen and Cedar and Chestnut Lots.
• The 5K starts before the 15K at 7:50 a.m. and heads WEST!
• The 15K starts after the 5K at 8:10 a.m. and heads EAST!
• The starting line for both races is on College Drive on the campus of Northwest Michigan College between the track and NMC’s Cedar Parking Lot (no parking here though!)
• Portable toilets are located in the Cedar Parking Lot near the starting line.
• All 5K runners and walkers should be in position by 7:40 a.m.
• All 15K runners and walkers should be in position by 8:00a.m. after the 5K start.
• Make sure to wear your race number on the front of your clothing. This is the only way to be identified for online pictures.
• Electronic tag timing device must be attached to your number. Do not crinkle your number!
• You will be recorded for your NET time which is actual start line to actual finish line.
• Baby joggers are not recommended, but if you must, please line up behind all runners.
Walker's Start Line
Walkers will receive a time only and will be listed in results along with runners. Walkers are considered those who do not break into a running stride at any time during the race, and are expected to walk at a pace per mile approximately 13-15/minutes per mile or slower.
After the Race- Parade/Shuttle/Stroll
• Shuttle buses run from the finish line to Eastern Elementary from 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 .
• Course Information
All miles will be marked with signage on your right hand side. Water Stations and a limited number of toilets will be located throughout the course.
HOW YOU CAN START UP FRONT...
The Pace Corrals allow faster runners to start closer to the front. Please line up according to the following pace per mile corral sections:
“Racer” - <5:30/mile to 8:30/mile
“Runner” - >8:30/mile – 12:00/mile
“Recreate” - >12/mile.
Our race route follows city streets that are not entirely closed to vehicular traffic. Certain streets may be under construction or in disrepair. Stay alert! In the 15K, participants should be prepared to run the first 7 miles in 90 minutes or less. This equates to a 13 minute per mile pace.
In the event of weather issues or a municipal emergency, the police may advise race organizers not to hold the event. In such a scenario, race officials will consult with city officials to determine if the event could be held on a subsequent weekend. The Festival of Races website would be the source of changing information on the event. Event policy prohibits refunds for any reason including a change of race date or suspension. Race officials would consider offering a partial credit toward the next year’s event to pre-registered runners if the event could not be rescheduled.