Festival of Races
2013 Race Date: Saturday, July 6
The 40th Annual National Cherry Festival event offers you a
rewarding and exciting race experience!
2013 Race Features...40 Years and Running!
- Pace Corrals for start line flow
- 7:30 AM 5K start
- 7:50 AM 15K start
- 5/3 Bank Golden Mile Elite races
- $15 technical shirt upgrade option
- Active Sports Images on course and finish line photography, http://www.actionsportsimages.com/
- Team Bob's Team Challenge Category
The Original Traverse City Foot Race since 1973!
Origionally started in 1973 as a 10K and then in 1978 shifting to a 15K and finally in 1989 adding Traverse City's first 5K, this race has seen over 50,000 participants cross the finish line!
Register 2 Different Ways:
- Please note there is a $5.00 handling fee on paper registrations, which is already included in the race fee.
2. You may also register in person at Packet Pick-up
- Registration on Friday, July 5, 2-8 PM, or Saturday, July 6, 6-7:00 AM (Located at Eastern Elementary, 1600 Eastern Avenue, Traverse City MI 49686, in the school’s gymnasium)
2013 RACE FEE INFORMATION!
Now through May 6th - 13&Under register for $10 with paid adult registration.
Online through June 16 before midnight:
15K - $33
5K - $28
18 & Under - $20 (5K or 15K)
Online Monday, June 17, through Thursday July 4, at 11:59.59 AM (online registration closes July 4):
15K - $38
5K - $33
18 & Under - $25 (5K or 15K)
July 5 IN PERSON at Packet Pick-up & Registration July 5 (2-8:00 PM)
15K - $38
5K - $33
18 & Under - $30 (5K or 15K)
Race Day Morning Packet Pick-up & Registration July 6 (6-7 AM):
15K - $43
5K - $38
18 & Under - $35 (5K or 15K)
RACE EVENTS SCHEDULE AND PACKET PICK UP
Friday, July 5, 2013
2:00 – 8:00 PM - Packet Pick-up and Registration
Eastern Elementary, 1600 Eastern Avenue, Traverse City MI 49686
Pick up your race packet or register from 2 to 8 p.m. Friday, July 5 at Eastern Elementary School.
Saturday, July 6, 2013
6:00-7:00 a.m. – LATE packet pick up & registration
On race day, Late Packet Pick-up is only available at Eastern Elementary.
Race Day Schedule
7:30 AM - Meijer Festival of Races 5K
Start line on College Drive
7:50 AM - Meijer Festival of Races 15K
Start line on College Drive
Directions to the Race Site & Packet Pick-up
For directions from your location, click here, then click "Directions."
(Eastern Elementary will already be set as your destination.)
Available on the Campus of NMC, EXCLUDING Aspen, Cedar and Chestnut Lots. Parking also at Eastern Elementary and nearby Traverse City Central High School parking lots. Follow volunteers and signage.
Please Note: NMC Main Entrance closes at 7:00AM on race morning! Enter NMC parking via East College Dr. (off Front St.) after 7:00AM.
Packet Pick-up Procedure:
Eastern Elementary is race headquarters! Just enter the main entrance and follow the guides!
1) Find your name
2) Remember your number
3) Pick up your bib
4) Pick up your shirt!
Can't Make it to Packet Pick-up?
If you are unable to pick up your own packet, your packet may be picked up for you, but the person requesting the packet must know your date of birth.
RACE DAY INFO/REMINDERS
July 6, 2013 – 5K at 7:30AM; 15K at 7:50AM
• Arrive early! Parking is available on the Campus of NMC, and Traverse City Central High School.
• New! Main Entrance to NMC campus at Fair Street closes at 7:00AM
• The 5K starts before the 15K at 7:30AM
• The 15K starts after the 5K at 7:50AM
• Please be advised of pace corrals to assist with start flow.
• The starting line for both races is on College Drive on the campus of Northwest Michigan College between the track and NMC’s Cedar Parking Lot.
• Portable toilets are located in the Cedar Parking Lot near the starting line.
• All 5K runners and walkers should be in position by 7:20AM
• All 15K runners should be in position by 7:40AM after the 5K start.
• Wear your race number on the front of your clothing.
• You will be recorded for your NET time which is actual start line to actual finish line.
• Baby joggers are not recommended, but if you must, please line up behind all runners.
Miles will be marked with signage on your right hand side as you complete the course. Water Stations will be located throughout the course)
(Maps are for reference only and may indicate a slightly different distance. 5K and 15K courses will be accurate distance.)
The race route follows city streets that are not entirely closed to vehicular traffic. Certain streets may be under construction or in disrepair. Stay alert! In the 15K, participants should be prepared to run the distance in 2 hours or less. This equates to a 13 minute per mile pace.
5K participants are advised of a steep downhill on Cherry Tree Lane and 15K participants are advised of a steep downhill on McKinley Road.
In the event of weather issues or a municipal emergency, the police may advise race organizers not to hold the event. In such a scenario, race officials will cancel the event. Race officials will be using the WBGT Index to advise participants of weather conditions. Event policy prohibits refunds for any reason including a change of race date, suspension, or cancellation.
Age Group Awards
Top 3 in each of the following 5K and 15K Run Age-groups: 13 & under, 14-16, 17-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80-84, 85-89, and 90 & over.
Show your team’s spirit for running and teamwork and be part of the Team Bob’s Team Challenge.
Each team is evaluated on their top 5 runners in their respective age groups for either the 15K or 5K, and top 5 runners will count for scoring...
Place in age group will be added up with the LOWEST points being the winner. Must have minimum 5 finishers in at least one race to score.
- Get your friends, family, teammates and co-workers to run – there is no limit!
- Awards to top 3 teams per category, provided by Team Bob’s.
- Team captain should insure that all team members complete the online registration process by June 24th.
- Team captains are responsible for completing and submitting the team forms (download below) by June 24th, 2013.
- For more information or to enroll your team, contact Lisa Taylor via email or at (231) 631-2195
We are pleased to announce that our local specialty running store, Running Fit, has joined us as a 2013 race sponsor! Highlighting the many exciting features made possible by Running Fit is a beginner 5K training program called Running 101 which prepares runners for the July 6 festival 5k; the return of the “Parade of Winners” Cherry Royale parade appearance, a special in-store registration night (details to follow) and free race photos in the downtown store. For store hours and information about the Running 101 class beginning May 14, contact the downtown Running Fit at 231-932-5401 or the S. Airport Running Fit at 231-933-9242. Also register for the Running 101 class here!
The Meijer Festival of Races 5K and 15K, uses computer “chips” to time all races. Mats at the starting line and at the finish give every runner a net time. The net time is the time it takes to run from the actual starting line to the finish line.
Results Posting & Awards Pick-up
Results will be posted within the finish line area. In addition, official results will be posted online immediately after race at the National Cherry Festival’s website at www.cherryfestival.org. Due to the DTE Energy Cherry Royale Parade start time of 11:15AM, age group awards may be claimed in the finish line area up to 11:15AM. Following the parade, awards will be available at the Festival's Welcome Center located in the Open Space Park. Awards will also be available at the National Cherry Festival office starting on Monday, July 15.